THE FLEMISH BIRD WATCHER
Oil on canvas: 92.5 x 74 cm / 36.5 x 29.1 ins
Signed lower right
Painter of figures, (animated) landscapes and genre scenes; architect.
Adolf Schill was a pupil of Leins and Gnauth. He worked for four years under Förster at the construction of the Ring Theatre in Vienna. He studied two years in Italy. From 1880 on, he became a professor of ornaments and scenic decorations at the Düsseldorf Academy. He was the architect of the Rheinbrücke in Düsseldorf in 1898 and also responsable for the interior decorations of the aula of the Düsseldorf Academy. He made the crockery offered by the province of Rheinland Westfalen as a wedding present to the Crown Prince of Prussia.
Stuttgart 1848 - Düsseldorf 1911
U. Thieme & F. Becker, "Allgemeines Lexikon der Bildenden Künstler von der Antike bis zur gegenwart", Leipzig 1907, Vol. 30, p. 67.