KOWALSKY Léopold François
Oil on canvas: 89.5 x 107 cm / 35.2 x 42.1 ins
Signed lower right
Painter of portraits and animated landscapes; draughtsman.
Léopold François Kowalsky was a pupil of Jean Pillard and Henri Lehmann at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris. He exhibited regularly in Paris, from 1881 on at the Salon des Artistes Français. He became a member of the Salon in 1883 and received a commendation in 1890 and a bronze medal in 1891. In 1912 he moved to the Eure region and lived there until he died in the company of his wife and daughter, leaving some fine portraits of them behind.
His landscapes of the Normandy and Brittany countryside often reveal a strong Post-Impressionist inspiration with their qualities of changing light and reflections.
There’s a label on the back of this particular painting: Exposition Internationale des Beaux-Arts de Monte-Carlo – M. Kowalsky Léopold, Adresse: 16 rue de la Fontaine, Titre de l’Ouvrage: “Floréal”
Paris 1856 - Cocherel (Eure) 1931
E. Bénézit, "Dictionary of Artists", Paris 2006, Vol. 8, p. 49.